(England & Wales) England & Wales Waste Management Regulations 2011

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 & The Waste and Contaminated Land (Northern Ireland) Order 1997 place a “Duty of Care” on anyone who produces, collects, treats and disposes of waste. This includes feminine hygiene, clinical, sharps, medicines, dental wastes, confidential waste or other waste to be recycled (e.g. cans, paper, bottles, toner cartridges)

So why do you need Duty of Care? 

to prevent any other persons committing the offences of depositing, disposing of or recovering controlled waste without a permit/waste management license.

To prevent escape of waste, that is to contain it.

Waste that is transferred only goes to authorized persons.

When waste is transferred, correct documentation describes the waste and other relevant details (i.e. a Duty of Care Waste Transfer Note or Hazardous/Special waste Consignment Note) The Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011 have introduced a number of important changes to waste legislation, including for the first time a legal requirement to apply The Waste Hierarchy. They have also amended the requirements as to what must be included in Waste Transfer Notes and Hazardous Waste Consignment Notes in England and Wales and a Citron Information Sheet detailing those changes can be downloaded below.

Further information will be available regarding how we apply The Waste Hierarchy and is being prepared. As a result of needing to gather more information from Customers however that has meant we have had to introduce a Non Hazardous Waste Response Form which can also be downloaded below. If you break the law you could be fined an unlimited amount.

Citron have produced two information leaflets which are available to download below. The Government have produced statutory Codes of Practice which gives more detail on Duty of Care and Guidance on how to comply. The main principles of duty of care are about documenting the transfer of waste and checking up on anyone you transfer waste to (e.g. if they are a registered carrier of waste, if they are taking waste to suitably licensed/permitted sites). You should only use a Contractor who can provide proof of compliance with the legislation. Citron can provide proof of compliance with the legislation as outlined below and detailed in our Duty of Care – Citron Compliance and Charges leaflet.